If you have a pool, odds are you have hosted a party or two in your family’s backyard oasis. As you may well know, there are several factors to take into consideration before inviting family and friends over to enjoy an afternoon or evening in and around the water. We have compiled a short list to make your party prep EZ!
The more you do in the days leading up to your party, the more you will be able to enjoy your guests. A wise person once said, “a man who fails to prepare, prepares to fail”. Don’t be THAT guy!
- Call your pool maintenance team several days ahead of your gathering and let them know your plans. They can take the necessary steps to ensure everyone is able to enjoy a well balanced and clean swimming environment. If you do your own pool maintenance, take a water sample to your pool chemical provider several days before the event. They will test your water and guide you on what is needed to get your levels to a satisfactory status.
- Inspect your patio furniture to be sure it is in good repair. There is nothing worse that Uncle Larry plopping down in a chaise lounge and ending up on his back!
- Wipe down surfaces with antibacterial cleaner to keep everyone safe and healthy.
Nothing ruins a party like an accident. Double check your accommodations and be sure they are safe and suitable for your guests.
- Be sure to remove all items that could contribute to someone tripping and falling into the pool and put into place safeguards that will restrict unsupervised access to the pool by children and pets.
- Assign a “water watcher”. Ask party gatherers to take 20 minutes shifts watching the pool when young children are present. This person should be sober and undistracted as they dutifully see to it that the children in attendance are safe while swimming. If no one is up for the task, hire someone who can perform this vital function for you.
- If your party will run into evening hours, be sure to have adequate lighting to guide party-goers’ paths as they navigate around the pool area.
- Consider laying down rubber mats to help with the grip of wet, slippery feet to avoid slip and falls.
- Implement a “no glass by the pool” policy. Broken glass is dangerous and very difficult to remove from a pool.
Comfort & Conversation
- Set up cozy conversation friendly areas poolside. Not all guests are water lovers, so be sure to take their preferences and needs into consideration.
- Shaded seating is important on hot summer days. Open your patio umbrellas and consider a shade awning with seating beneath to provide some relief from warm summer rays.
- Inevitably, someone will forget their towel or sunscreen. A basket with poolside toys and essentials is a great way to make your guests feel welcome and at ease while visiting.
- Consider having coolers and other containers full of cold water. Staying hydrated is important. While we realize there is water in the form of the ice in your mixed drink, nothing replaces the benefits of H2O!
No one wants to think about it, but it COULD happen…A summer rain shower can put a DAMPer (pun intended) on your poolside plans. While there is no fool proof way to avoid this, you can be prepared!
- Keep an eye on the forecast in the days leading up to your event. If rain is likely, you may consider rescheduling for another time
- If the show must go on, tents and awnings are a great way to keep the party outdoors and somewhat dry as you enjoy your company
- Keep the pizza delivery guy on speed dial! BBQ’s aren’t nearly as successful on rainy days. A menu change may be necessary
- Pull out the board games. If Marco Polo isn’t an option, maybe Monopoly is!
Last, but certainly not least is after party clean up. Again, reach out to your pool service provider for maintenance and cleaning. If you are a DIY’er, head to your pool supply store with a water sample for testing.
If you are need of a pool service professional or a pool supply store, visit our website or download our app, myAPiWater. A member of our Customer Experience Team will reach out to you with options in your area.