Proper pool care requires an equal amount of science and routine. The problem is that some people rely too much on one, but not the other. In order to keep your pool in perfect shape all summer long, you will want to balance the two and avoid these 5 key mistakes that people make in caring for their pools.
- Not brushing your pool: Most pool owners are pretty vigilant about vacuuming their pool, but vacuuming your pool is only half the battle. Pool brushing is crucial to reach hard to get to areas like corners and behind ladders. Proper brushing eliminates the possibility of things like algae creeping up in your pool.
- Not properly handling algae problems: Make sure you are dealing with algae issues properly. Don’t make the mistake of attempting to use your automatic pool cleaners to vacuum algae. Automatic cleaners will end up being counterproductive in the algae removal process because they will recycle the algae back through your pool. If you have to use a manual vacuum to remove algae, make sure your filter is set to waste so that the water doesn’t come back into the pool. While you will lose more water this way, it will ensure the algae is indeed leaving your pool.
- Not running your filter enough: Make sure you are running your filter for no less than 8 hours a day. This is a critical step to avoiding water problems within your pool. Avoid the tendency to skimp on the full 8 hours, or you will end up costing yourself more time, in the long run, having to fix the problem.
- Not testing the water regularly: Remember that we said routine and science are key ingredients to maintaining a beautiful pool. This mistake is the confluence of both of those keys. Ensure that you are testing your water on a weekly basis as part of your routine checkup on the scientific health of your pool.
- Adding chemicals at the wrong time of day: Whatever combination of chemicals you are using, make sure to follow the usage instructions on the packaging. Don’t be tempted to add chemicals at a time that fits best into your schedule if it isn’t what is recommended on the packaging.
If you avoid these 5 common mistakes in pool care, you will be well on your way to enjoying a beautiful, sparkling pool all summer long!