Algae outbreaks can form in pools because of improper balance and sanitization, high phosphate levels, bather loads, and weather. Pools treated with E-Z POOL® have No Algae Guaranteed!. For pools not treated with E-Z POOL®, there are many ways to treat for algae. It is important to note that phosphates are algae food and when those levels reach 500ppb or higher, the pool should be treated.
Brush pool surface and treat with a sodium bromide-based algaecide/chlorine enhancer along with chlorinated shock, follow product label instructions during treatment. Be sure that everything that has come into contact with the pool is clean and sanitized.
Brush pool surface and treat with chlorinated shock. Dosage should be determined by severity of issue. Supplement with a copper-based algaecide and follow the product directions the day following chlorine treatment. See Treatment Protocol for Green Cloudy Pools.
Treat with a stain & scale product, brush algae spots, then dose with triple chelated copper-based algaecide, typically know as an "extended life" algaecide. Follow the label directions and repeat if necessary.
- Black Algae - characterized by small round lumps of black and typically found in plastered pools.
- Black Stains - when these stains appear under a liner, they may be misconstrued as algae when it is really a mold that forms due to groundwater under a vinyl liner.
After Algae Treatment
- After algae has been treated, turn off circulation system.
- Spray up to 64oz of Revive START UP/CLEAN UP per 24,000 gallons of pool water over pool surface, depending on the severity of the initial algae issue.
- Keep pool pump turned off for 24-48 hours. As time passes, debris will form on the flow of the pools and the pool water will gradually clear at the same time
- Once the water is clear, vacuum the debris through the waste portal on the valve of the sand or DE filter. On cartridge filter pools, vacuum the debris to the filter then clean the cartridge element.
- Resume normal pool maintenance or begin on the E-Z POOL® or PEPPER® program.