APi & CASTLE Partner for Swim Safe 2016
Summer is in full swing and nothing says summer more than time by the pool. Kids and parents alike love cooling down on these hot summer days with a nice swim. While pools provide a lot of fun, there is more to be aware of than just applying a high SPF this summer. Before you take the family for a dip this Fourth of July, make sure that you know the basics of water safety.
In many parts of the country and right here at home, water safety does not get enough attention. Whether it be the pool or at the beach, children need to be properly prepared prior to enjoying the fun to be had. Recent estimates suggest that 1,000 children die each year from drowning and drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death in children ages 1-4.
The Pool Safely organization works to provide safety tips for parents and children. Here are a few things that they suggest for water safety:
- Never leave a child unattended in or near the water.
- Teach children how to swim.
- Teach children to stay away from drains.
- Ensure all pools and spas have compliant drain covers.
- Install proper barriers, covers, and alarms on and around your pool and spa.
- Know how to perform CPR on children and adults.
The Florida Department of Children and Families suggests similar steps for child pool safety, noting that while the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children 4 years and older receive swim lessons, parents of children ages 1-3 are also encouraged to seek swim instruction for their children.
Here in South Florida, where APi is based, there is an amazing organization that promotes drowning prevention through providing swim lessons scholarships to those who cannot afford them is the Live Like Jake Foundation. The Live Like Jake Foundation also holds an annual 5k run/walk to raise funds and awareness for drowning prevention.
Martina, a mother of 3 from Jupiter Farms, FL, was awarded a scholarship for her children to take Infant Swimming Resource (ISR) through the Live Like Jake Foundation. When asked why she applied for the scholarship, Martina said, “There are so many things that we can’t prepare our children for in today’s world. We can’t always be with our children 100% of the time. As a mother, I want to provide my children with the skills they need to protect themselves in all aspects of life, including water safety.”
An organization that works closely to promote child safety is CASTLE, based on the Treasure Coast of Florida. CASTLE was founded in 1981 and promotes the teaching of safe parenting to prevent child abuse and neglect. This amazing organization has a direct impact on the lives of children and their parents, with a mission of preventing child abuse and neglect through education and awareness, CASTLE has developed evidence based programs which are now used nationwide. With a 98% success rate and 2 National Accreditations, parents come to CASTLE to receive the tools to raise their children in a safe and nurturing environment.
This summer, CASTLE is partnering with APi Water Care to raise money for our greatest gift, the children. Our campaign is called “SwimSafe2016” and it will run through the end of July. Not only are we raising funds for CASTLE, but we will also be giving away a Swim Safely Gift Basket valued at $100. We are asking parents to post pictures of their children swimming with the hashtag #swimsafe2016 to promote CASTLE’s mission for child safety. One lucky winner will be selected to receive the gift basket so make sure to share your photos on Facebook or Instagram and include the hashtag #swimsafe2016. We are also encouraging those who are able to make donations to CASTLE via their website donor page here. Donations will be accepted on the CASTLE website and APi has pledged to match donations up to $1,500. We are looking forward to raising awareness and funds for this amazing organization.
It’s time to open those pools for summer! Many people will find opening their pool an extra hassle when they discover a green, murky pool. Have no fear, APi Water is here! Follow these steps, using some of our amazing APi products and your pool will be in shape for summer in no time!
- Net as much organic matter as possible from the bottom of the pool (even if you can’t see the bottom)
- Brush all walls to break algae lose from the walls.
- Shock pool at a rate of 4# per 10,000 gallons or 4 gallons liquid per 10,000 gallons with the pump running on recirculate.
- Add 1 gallon of muriatic acid per 20,000 gallons of pool water by pouring around the perimeter of the pool.
- After 30 minutes of circulation, turn off pool pump, spray a double dose of Revive! (2 quart bottles for 24,000 gallons) over the surface of the pool.
- Manipulate timer to not turn the pump on while treating with Revive. If the pump comes on the cleanup will be delayed.
- Return to pool in 24 to 72 hours (depending on temperature of the water, debris drops slower the colder the water temperature, 24-30 hours is normal) and vacuum debris to waste.
- Balance pool ASAP and introduce EZ-POOL per instructions on Pail.